The Paddlefish Experiment
In 2014, Caddo Lake Institute, wildlife officials and other partners released paddlefish into Caddo Lake and Big Cypress Bayou on March 5th and September 23rd as part of an experiment. We invited a small number of press to join us for the exciting events.
A sampling of the resulting stories and videos are below.
March 2014 Release News Stories, Blogs and Videos:
- ABC News blog - "Prehistoric Paddlefish Makes Return to Texas Lake", March 6, 2014
- Associated Press article - "Texas Lake Welcomes Back Paddlefish, Gone for Years", March 5, 2014 (This story was picked up by over 150 news outlets across the country.)
- Fox News-Dallas video story
- Marshall News-Messenger article and video - "Ebb and Flow: Paddlefish Reintroduced to Caddo Lake", March 6, 2014
- Longview CBS affiliate news story - "Prehistoric Fish is Reintroduced to an Old Home", March 6, 2014
- Red River Radio article and audio story - "Dinosaur Era Paddlefish Once Again Inhabit Caddo Lake", March 6, 2014
- RFD-TV's show "Out on the Land" episode about the paddlefish project - "Paddlefish Returned to Caddo Lake" (Season 3, Episide 39)
- Shreveport Times article - "Prehistoric Paddlefish Released into Caddo Lake", March 18, 2014
- Tyler Morning Telegraph article - "Project Attempts to Bring Back Fish", March 6, 2014
- Tyler Morning Telegraph article - "Paddling Upstream: Cooperative Effort Helping Bring Paddlefish Back to Texas", March 8, 2014
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department video of the paddlefish release.
Nature Conservancy video of paddlefish release.
Marshall News-Messenger video of the paddlefish release.
September 2014 Release News Stories and Videos:
- CBS-DFW article (from Associated Press wire) - "Rare Paddlefish BeingStocked at East Texas Lake", September 23, 2014
- Marshall News-Messenger/Longview News-Journal article - "Aobut 2,000 Paddlefish Released into Caddo Lake", September 24, 2014
Video of September release by Michael Gannon, The Collins Academy.
Marshall News Messenger video story, September 23, 2014.
For more information, please visit our Paddflefish Experiment project webpage.